“Surround yourself only with people who are going to take you higher.” Oprah Winfrey
I’ve been thinking a lot about friendships.
How does my circle of friends reflect my own values? Are my relationships feeding my soul? Is my social life lifting me higher?
I recognize a yearning and I want to be aware of whether it can be satisfied from without or within. And so I have shuffled through a list of wants and needs.
In a friend…
- I don’t need constant attention but I want to be seen.
- I don’t need hours of intense philosophical discussion but I want to have meaningful conversations.
- I don’t need my friends to agree with me but a sense of shared values creates a solid foundation.
- I would love to have spontaneous friends but realize I must then develop my own ability to be spontaneous.
- I don’t need to hear religious or spiritual beliefs, but I want to see and feel that the lives of my friends are on a path toward truth and compassion.
What I call a higher power, another may call God, Allah or Nirvana.
What I call spirituality another may call higher conciousness.
Perhaps the answer is simply to remain open to my life’s purpose and meet other students along the way.